Top 5 Chia Seeds Benefits
The benefits of chia seeds are being touted as the latest and greatest thing in the nutrition world – and for good reason!
It turns out that chia seeds are worth more than just ammunition for the gimmicky “Chia Pets” made popular in the 90’s, as they actually have some tremendous health benefits.
But just what are the chia seeds health benefits?
Chia seeds are:
- High In Fiber – Did you know that the average American only gets 12 to 15 grams of fiber a day? And that the average recommended daily dosage is between 20 and 35 grams? Fortunately you can beat this statistic by adding chia seeds to your diet, as just one serving of chia seeds accounts for a whopping 42% of your recommended fiber intake.
- Chia is Filling – Due to its high fiber, chia can be a good aide for weight loss. This is because fiber helps you feel fuller quicker and for longer, which could help you decrease your daily calorie intake more easily.
- High in Omega-3 – Chia is one of the most highly concentrated sources of omega-3 known to man. In fact, it evens contains higher levels of omega-3 than salmon! Omega-3 contains essential fatty acids and can help reduce inflammation.
- High in Calcium – We all know how essential calcium is for our bone health but fitting it into our daily diets can be a challenge. Luckily, a single serving of chia contains 18% of the recommended daily calcium intake for adults.
- High in Minerals – Just two tablespoons worth of chia seeds contains 35% of the daily recommended intake for phosphorous, 24% of magnesium and 50% for manganese.
How to Eat Chia Seeds
The beauty of chia seeds is that they are extremely versatile. They can be added to virtually any dish or meal and their mild flavor prevents them from negatively altering the taste of your food.
Chia seeds can be added to:
- Pasta Sauces
- Cut fruit
Look out for chia seeds at your local health food store or you may even be able to find them at your regular grocery store. Although a bag of chia seeds can be a bit on the pricey side, they often contain a huge amount of servings, making the sometimes high sticker price more than worth it.
Get the most out of chia seeds by adding a couple of tablespoons to your meals and see for yourself just how wondrous these seeds can be.